Bird-X Woodpecker Pro Sonic Repeller Review.

I would like to review 'Bird-X Woodpecker Pro Sonic Repeller' after using about a month.



Bird-X makes a lot of kinds of deterrent devices, such as Sonic Bird Repellent Devices, Ultrasonic Bird Repellent Devices, Animal Pest Repellent Devices, and Visual Bird Scare Devices. Among Sonic Bird Repellent Devices, I tried Woodpecker Pro which is particularly targeting woodpeckers. I was fighting with woodpeckers for several years. I never had a good luck. After several defeats, I decided to go for this expensive device (about $250). I thought if it works it would be worth while to invest that amount. Listening to a tech support's advice, I purchased a visual deterrent (a prowler owl) and an external speaker together with the sonic device. I installed the main system facing south and the external speaker facing north.


North and south sides are long edges of my house. In this way the sound covers pretty much everywhere of my house. I walked around house to make sure I could hear the sound loud and clear every corner and wall of my house. The sound wave has a relatively long wavelength, so it can bend (diffract) well. Thus, I didn't have a hard time in hearing the sound. I installed the owl on the most targeted wall by woodpeckers. The main device has a lots of settings such as interval, day/night mode, random mode, and 8 choices of different predators recordings (4 for woodpeckers, and 4 other general predators).


For the recordings, one may turn on and off individually. I turned on all 8 recordings and chose settings day time only, interval 5-10 minute, random mode. It seemed to work for about a week, but a woodpecker came and started pecking. The woodpecker didn't seem to be bothered by the sound at all. It was pecking the wall while the recording was being played.


I called the tech support and asked. They told me not to turn on all 8 recordings and suggested me to use 2 or 3 settings and to try to find the recording that works by experimenting. I followed their advice and turned on 3 recordings only. About 3 days, one attacked my house again. I changed the setting. And a few days later other woodpecker was pecking the wall again. And I chose another combination of the recordings, increased the volume of the sound and chose the interval more frequently to 1-4 min. After a few days, a woodpecker was pecking the wall about 3 feet away from the owl. The device simply did not work for me and my house.


It does make a lot of noise. In my case, my house is located in a rural area. So, the device didn't bother my neighbors much. In a crowded city, the noise may be problem even if the device works. Well, wherever you live, if it doesn't work, there is no reason to keep. Although I used longer than 30 days return period, they were quite friendly every time I called and were willing to give me money back.


The bottom line is that you really have to try and experiment to see if it works at your house. In my case, it didn't work. Now, I have to other alternative to protect my house from woodpeckers.


The author is an avid DIYer who tries to fix and build a lot of thing by learning for himself.




Article Source: EzineArticles.com
 http://EzineArticles.com/?expert=Calvin_Campbell





-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 Posted by : ultrasonic-birds-repeller.blogspot.com Copyright © 2010, All right reserved.

Total Pageviews